Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Vielen Dank!

7-14-12 
Sometimes getting lost can be the best.  


Today I was lazy and didn't check my maps as often as I should have.  I found myself about 4 miles off the PCT on the Bryan Meadow Trail (?).  I wasn't worried because I didn't need to go into South Lake Tahoe for re-supply until tomorrow so I had plenty of time and I could hear the traffic on Highway 50 so I knew I was close anyway.  


I happened upon the Sierra At Tahoe ski resort.  They were closed up tight but the water was still running and they had picnic tables so I figured I'd chill here tonight and hitch into SLT in the morning.  


I met this happy hunter and he invited me back to his cabin for beer and brats!  He had lived in Germany and when I told him that I had been stationed there in the Army, we had great conversation, great food and good times.  Here's to getting lost!



3 comments:

Martha said...

Know what's ironic? The night you met the nice hunter, I was home cooking brats in SIerra Nevada beer. Seriously.

Michael (mmuehlba@yahoo.com) said...

Hi Chris, Mike (Brat. und Bier Mike) here :-). Hope your trek is going well and I enjoy reading your blog ! Be safe amigo.

Chris Hillier said...

Hey Mike!

Meeting you was such a pleasure and the brats and beer you shared with me were fantastic! Please, please keep in touch with me.

Wolverine