Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Friday, April 28, 2017

The Hiker Magnet


I've encountered this phenomenon many times in my hiking career. There are just some places that are so inviting, so hiker-friendly, that you absolutely don't want to leave. It seems impossible to break free from their gravitational pull. Most often, it's a city or small town but it can just as easily be a hiker hostel or even a lone acacia tree in the desert. 


 


My first encounter with a Hiker Magnet was when I was northbound on the AT in 2011. I had been warned that Damascus, VA was a very special place and that many hikers not only stayed there way too long but some even quit their hikes to live there! After one day in that town, I could see why: Damascus offers an interesting mix of hikers, mountain bikers and old school Southern charm. Lots of cheap hostels and good food. It's a 'bunching up' point where you're likely to see people you haven't seen for weeks. And it's VERY difficult to leave. Southbound on the AT in 2015 was even worse: After a double-zero in this town, I ducked into a bar on my way back to the trail to top off the charge on my cell phone only to find college football (Michigan State vs Ohio State) on the big screen TV and Bell's Two-Hearted pale ale on tap. Must.... *clearly straining* Resist.....


 


There are hostels and hiker hangouts that are just as bad (Casa Luna on the PCT comes to mind). It takes super human levels of will power and determination to get out of there and get back to the trail. 


Pagosa Springs, CO (on the CDT) was so darn welcoming that I felt as though the city itself was trying to keep me there. I eventually ran out of town, hip-checking multitudes of Trail Angels and fending off well-wishers with my trekking poles until I finally escaped. 


The city of Arad here in Israel has a similar vibe. It's the first town you arrive at, as a northbound hiker, when you emerge from a month in the Negev Desert. Geographically, it's not too big yet it still has everything a hiker needs and it's easy to get around on foot. There are several good grocery stores and at least a couple of bars that serve huge cheeseburgers and delicious craft beer. There is even a house - a really NICE house - that hikers are welcomed to stay at for free. It has no furniture aside from a couple couches and lots of sleeping mats on the floors of the bedrooms. It even has a shower and a fancy flush toilet! I never met the owner - not sure anyone has - but someone is paying the bills for that place and I'd sure like to thank them for such a pleasant stay. Of course, I was reunited with all my hiker buddies in Arad. We swapped stories about how difficult and beautiful the desert had been. Friends of friends invited me to their home for a wonderful dinner. Visiting the Dead Sea was a (Trail) magical experience. It was all so good... How could I leave?


 


 


After two days in Arad, I (gulp) summoned the courage to hike on. Even as left town on a Sunday morning, shop keepers were opening their shuttered doors, filling the air with the scent of fresh baked goods and just brewed coffee. I felt powerless against these overwhelming temptations. I staggered, half delirious with desire, back toward the trail. 


 


I'll let you know in my next post if I escaped or not. In the meantime, leave me a comment! 

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Take a little for the trail.... Not too much.... Just a nibble.... Love the stories... Glad all is well... Always wifh you... Hike on my friend...

Mike Long said...

Special places for hikers, a little touch of Heaven on the trail!

Unknown said...

Hopefully you got some good stuff to take with you. That hostel type building sounds really interesting.

On the AT, Hot Springs, NC was my draw. I spent 2 days there. On my second day, I had a huge lunch and tried to leave, but a mile out, the worst storm I've ever been in. I thought "there's no reason to be this close to town and this miserable..." so I turned around. On a porch in town, there was probably every hiker in the area, and some locals had bought us a ton of beer. I'm glad I decided to turn around! I got out of there with a quickness the next morning!

Martha said...

Don't forget the magnetic pull off Casa Cassidy on the PCT. Grilled burgers, inground pool, showers and comfy beds. Plus love. I'm so glad all your dreams of this trail are being surpassed! Your pics are awesome.

Martha said...

Don't forget the magnetic pull off Casa Cassidy on the PCT. Grilled burgers, inground pool, showers and comfy beds. Plus love. I'm so glad all your dreams of this trail are being surpassed! Your pics are awesome.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Roberta!

Chris Hillier said...

Right?! But sometimes they're so hard to leave!

Chris Hillier said...

Hot Springs was tough to leave. There was a great hostel there. My friends So Way and EBrake were hanging out... I barely escaped.

Chris Hillier said...

Your sister and brother in-law were so kind to me! It was really hard to go from relaxing at the poolside to hiking in the Mojave Desert. Their place is for sure a Hiker Magnet!

Unknown said...

Sounds Amazing Chris, I am so glad you are experiencing this, when you come back we will have to sit around the firepit and enjoy some beers, food, and of course your stories of the trail....soak it all in my friend, and see you when you get back...����

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Lynda! We will for sure do that.

Unknown said...

Marco...? Marco...?
Everything looks awesome so far. What an amazing experience and a great way to see more of the world! I trust you'll keep more posts coming. #micdrop

Chris Hillier said...

Polo!

Thanks, Jaime. It's been a fantastic journey. More pics and posts coming soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad all is well for you dear Chris.........I would like to be at Lynda's firepit listening to your stories!! Looking forward to seeing you again and hearing all about your dream hike!!!

Teri

Chris Hillier said...

Hey Teri! Thanks for the kind words. See you in June!

Sharky's Reviews said...

Many people claim that once switching to the Magnetic Laundry System Reviews their asthma and allergies actually started clearing thinking it was a miracle and then I realizing, holy cow!!! it’s been the chemical residue on my clothes affecting me all

manuelorellanarubio said...

Absolutely wonderful post! What a perfect concept. Thank you manuelorellanarubio