Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Monday, January 4, 2016

The Benton MacKaye Trail

The Benton MacKaye (pronounced like 'the sky') Trail (BMT) is a relatively new trail, having just been completed in 2005. It stretches 286 miles from Springer Mountain (GA) in the south to Davenport Gap (NC) in the north. It crosses through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) following a different route than the Appalachian Trail. 


I admit that I don't know much about this trail other than being curious about it when I thru-hiked the AT northbound in 2011. I saw the signs for it and I knew that Benton MacKaye was the man who first proposed the idea for the Appalachian Trail back in 1921 but I really had no idea where it started or how long it was. 


I got lots of help with maps and information from the good folks at the Benton MacKaye Trail Association. Check out their website at BMTA.org. 

Finally, the only person I know that has thru-hiked it is So Way (from the famous A Team: So Way and E-Brake). He had hiked it with his sister in preparation for his first AT thru-hike. He was able to give me specific advice and show me pictures stored in his phone. To their credit, So Way and E-Brake were the only two people to say "Hell yes!!" when I first told them I wanted to hike this trail. I am grateful to them for their support. 


Stay tuned to this blog for pictures and stories from this latest adventure. If you've hiked it before or have any additional information for me, please leave me a comment below. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Never heard of this trail but am excited to read what you have to say about it afterwards. Great way to start 2016!
-Richard

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Richard. Stay tuned for pics and stories!