Wolverine Hikes

People who know me know that I belong on the Trail. I've thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (three times, now),the Pacific Crest Trail and the mighty Continental Divide Trail. I've hiked many of the long trails here in Michigan including being the first to hike both the Ironwood Trail and the Great Lake To Lake Trail. In 2017, I hiked the Israel National Trail and the Golan Heights Trail. I was the first to hike the Baja Divide Trail in Mexico but failed miserably to thru-hike the Bruce Trail in Canada. In 2019, I hiked the TEMBR in Ecuador and 1,150 miles of the North Country Trail as it runs through my home state of Michigan.

The purpose of this blog is to keep anyone who is interested informed of my progress and to encourage those who are able to support me in these endeavors.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Pics From The Hike

Kinda boring, I know. But there's nothing else going on out here. There are no other hikers. I'm freezing. Just trying to finish this trail and get home. 


This is the beer that I used to celebrate the end of the AT and the beginning of the BMT. The amazing thing about this beer is that it was stashed in the woods about a month earlier by Sarah 'Two Braids' Hillier. Amazingly, she is of no relation. Just another hiker who reached Springer Mountain way before me and cached this beer. She sent me this map:


I can't believe I found it. Thanks, Two Braids!



The picture above was taken on a very foggy morning but this is the tree in front of the Mountain Crossings gear store. Every year, hundreds of northbound AT hikers hit this store just a few days into their hike and then realize that their feet are sore because they have the wrong foot gear. They re-fit and chuck their old ones into this tree. 


This guy was stalking a shelter on the AT. That's a full-size lighter for perspective.  


This was a random entry in a shelter journal. For some reason, it just cracked me up. "I have a bag for poptarts now and it's fer sure not okay."  What does that even mean? Live!


Frost on my pack every morning. Everything not IN my sleeping bag with me is frozen solid. Every morning. This aspect of the hike is getting old. 


My two favorite things. 


All sewn up. All these miles have been pretty hard on my gear. One more reason to hurry up and finish this hike. 


This means me. 


Overall, this is a beautiful trail and I'm lucky to be out here. Many volunteers have worked very hard to keep this trail well-blazed and maintained. I am grateful to all of them for making this such an amazing experience for me. Soon, I'll be back in Michigan and missing the trail like crazy. Best to appreciate these last couple weeks and to spend them reflecting back on what a great adventure this has been.

Please feel free to leave me a comment below. 








 

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy the last days you have out there no matter how miserable they may be at times. You will surely miss it when you're done :)

Jeff McWilliams said...

Wow. Freezing temps every day must get real old. Hang in there and we'll see you soon!

Unknown said...

These great pics and their captions help this old couch potato gain insight and appretiation into why you do what you do. Thank you for sharing. Cheers to you!

Unknown said...

Hi Chris
I've really enjoyed all your posts, pictures and video's. You have accomplished so much and have been such an inspiration to many. Enjoy your time on the BMT! Hang in there. Hoping for sunny days and warmer nights for you. Hope to meet you when you return to Michigan. Nancy

Unknown said...

Well I have a bag of pop tarts for you...lol thanks for sharing,always enjoy your post. Can't wait to see you but hate to see it end at the same time...enjoy the time you have left even if you are a hiking popsicle. ...see you soon

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Christina!

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Jeff. We'll hang out when I get back.

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Nina! Say "Hey" to Dave for me.

Chris Hillier said...

Very kind words. Thank you Nancy.

Unknown said...

Enjoy the rest of your adventure, and see you back at Ollies, and me and Mike are looking forward to hear all about it. Safe trip my friend...

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Pam!

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Lynda! See you soon.

Unknown said...

You can keep the pics of the spider that is one thing I need protection from.... I thought the trail was your home and hurry back. .. you are missed

Unknown said...

Always enjoy your posts. Glad your going to be back with family for awhile. (Hugs are priceless).

Brian H. said...

Hippie!!

Anonymous said...

safe travels! Looks like a successful adventure!
-Richard

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Roberta. BTW, that spider scurried away right after I took this pic. Never saw him again.

I should be done with this hike and home by the end of the month. See you soon!

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks, Trish, and congrats on the new job!

Chris Hillier said...

You are!

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Anonymous said...

So are you home safe these days or lost on the trail?

-Richard

Anonymous said...

You have a very good site, well constructed and very interesting i have bookmarked you, hopefully you keep posting new stuff, many thanks
Camping

Chris Hillier said...

Thanks for the kind words!

Unknown said...

For hiking, is it absolutely necessary to use a hiking backpack ...
Vandra Backpack

Chris Hillier said...

Well... Yes. You have to weigh durability vs weight but yes, since your backpack is essential gear, you need a good hiking backpack.